David Beckham and Landon Donovan have teamed to create the best 1-2 punch in all of soccer. This has been evident since the start of the Major League Soccer season but was highlighted by the recent dismantling of Chivas USA in the latest SuperClasico match at Home Depot Center. Sure, the victory was nice; the Galaxy hadn’t defeated Chivas USA in a year, but the performances of Beckham, and especially Donovan, have made MLS relevant. And who ever thought that was possible?
So starting at the top, here’s my Top 5 Soccer Duos list:
1. David Beckham and Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS): Sure the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga have a some tremendous couplings, but Beckham (3 helpers) to Donovan (8 goals) is giving MLS defenders nightmares so far this season. Their chemistry is apparent because they both take pressure off the other player in different ways. The team is winning, which is good for Beckham; and Beckham is contributing, which is good for Donovan.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, Manchester United (EPL): Ronaldo, now the reigning two-time Footballers’ Player of the Year, has had a stellar campaign, scoring 28 times for the Premiership champs. Rooney continues to refine his all-around game and has added 12 goals and 11 assists in helping ManU reach the Champions League final this season.
3. Emmanuel Adebavor and Francesc Fabregas, Arsenal (EPL): Adebavor, 24, has made every run count for Arsenal, netting 21 goals in 30 EPL matches and a few more during their Champions League semifinal run. Fabregas, only 21, has 19 assists and seven goals in his first full season with Arsenal. “Cesc” as he’s known, was recently named Young Footballer of the Year and would be considered the best player in the world if not for the play of ManU’s Ronaldo.
4. Fernando Torres and Steven Garrard, Liverpool (EPL): Perhaps the most mature goal-scorer in the world, Torres’ speedy play netted 22 goals for the Reds this season. Garrard, the aged English captain, remains a colossus at midfield, scoring 11 times and adding 11 helpers to guide his club side to another Top-4 finish in the Premiership and with it, another qualification to Europe next season.
5. Raul and Guti, Barcelona (La Liga): Raul has netted 17 goals thus far for Barca, which reached the semifinals of the Champions League and currently sit atop the Spanish La Liga, again. Guti has a team-high 14 assists on a side with Brazilian Robinho (10 goals, 7 asst.), one of the better playmakers in the world.